Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Have You Donated Kibble Today?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Footloose and Floatie Free







Today the kids and I packed up and headed over to a friend's house for a day full of swimming - there is nothing better when it is a million degrees out! I am so proud of Hunter - he actually ditched the floaties and swam all by himself! Now, it's not that the kid doesn't know how to swim, he does, and has for that matter, since last summer. He is perfectly fine to swim as long as he knows he can stand up and touch at any time - but when you get him into deep water that he can't touch in he gets scared. When we went to the swimming party on Saturday as soon as we walked in he saw the slide and headed over for it without his floaties which was very surprising - I had no intentions of getting in so I made him put his floaties on - but since he had shown the initiative of going down the slide without them I decided we would try some floatie free swimming today. When the kids first got in Maisie was napping so I was just sitting on the side and Hunter was swimming with his floaties. Once Maisie arose from her slumber though, I got in with her and talked Hunter into removing the floaties. He first went down the slide and swam over to me with NO PROBLEMS! Next he decided he would go off the diving board - jumped in and swam right over to me with NO PROBLEMS! I am so excited! He is even more excited than I am! That was all it took - he spent the next hour or so going down the slide and off the diving board. I just can't believe how big he has gotten - he's really like a little boy instead of a toddler. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of him swimming floatie free because I was in the pool, but next time I will for sure! When we were at Disney he was holding his hands up in the air on the roller coasters and log rides when they would drop just like the bigger kids do. Amazing how fast they grow up on you - good thing he isn't starting kindergarten this year - I don't know that I am ready for that - I like the idea of having him around another year before he gets totally corrupted! I think it is safe to say that I will be a total blubbering idiot on his first day of school - he will probably be so embarrassed that he never lets me take him again!

No comments: