Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Have You Donated Kibble Today?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

R.I.P.


Scott has an Aunt who became a widow a couple of years ago ~ they never had children and have never owned a home, always rented. She is apparently a cat fanatic ~ nothing wrong with that, they are her children after all ~ I can certainly sympathize with that. On Saturday we are supposed to get together with Scott's sister, their mother, and their Aunt to discuss their mother moving down here ~ Scott's sister called last night to say that it didn't look like their Aunt was going to be at this get together because one of her cats died and the funeral is on Saturday. I was kinda taken off guard by that statement and said "the funeral? You mean like at a pet funeral home?". The answer was yes. Now I am fanatical about my animals, but this is over the top even for me! Scott then informed me that this would not be the first pet funeral to take place with her either. He said well you know they have never owned a home so where else would they bury them? You're not just going to throw them away ~ which I totally agree with, I could never just throw away one of my babies. My beloved Scooter is buried out at my parent's house in the pet cemetery there ~ we have lived in that house for 32 years ~ when someone dies we are always afraid that we are going to accidentally dig someone else up ~ my mom assures us that she knows precisely where everyone is. Guess she must, because as of yet no one has been disturbed! My comment about the situation was that if I didn't have the pet cemetery at my parent's to bury Scooter I would have had him cremated and then would have sprinkled his ashes on the beach where he loved to play. So a little later I was cleaning up the kitchen and started to chuckle about the whole thing again ~ Scott asked what I was laughing at and when I said the pet funeral he said "what do you think a pet funeral cost?" ~ what did we ever do without the Internet? He googled it and was shocked to discover that there is more than one place where you can have a pet funeral ~ and the next thing I heard from across the room was "holy shit! That's it, we're going to buy a piece of property and a shovel!". It was over $500 for a SMALL plot, but with this you got a marker and a picture of your beloved ~ now on top of the plot fee there are also maintenance fees just like in a human cemetery! Can you even imagine? One of the places he was checking out also offers grief counseling! I would have never in a million guessed that there was money to be made in the pet undertaking world! After he was done with his little pet research project he looked up and said "I can't believe she is going to spend $1,000 to put a f ' ing cat in the ground!". True story ~ I couldn't make this shit up if I tried!

1 comment:

The Wrenns said...

Ooookaaaaay....You got room for Loki at your parents' house?