Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Have You Donated Kibble Today?

Friday, May 16, 2008

No Mother of the Year Here!



Well it's official - I have undoubtedly lost my chance to be nominated Mother of the Year! Why you ask? Maisie watched TV today (I can almost here you gasping in disbelief now)! When I say she watched TV I don't mean caught a passing glimpse as we went from one room to another in the safe confines of our own house, I mean was deliberately placed in front of a TV by the hands of her own mother! What kind of a mother am I? I'll tell you what kind of a mother I am - one who wanted to get in a complete workout, that's what kind of mother I am! I've been going to workout as soon as I drop the boy at school which puts me getting there about 9:30 or so; Maisie goes back down about 10:00 so I am really pushing my luck to squeeze in my full workout and have so far been unsuccessful in my attempts - I get just about done and then she keys up so home we go. This morning we were really late getting there and she started getting fussy pretty much no sooner than we arrived (normally she sits in her saucer in the middle of the circuit and watches everybody); she was in her saucer and started to fuss so I tried putting her back in her seat and she was not impressed with those accommodations either. Then I was struck by this idea of sheer brilliance - let me put her in front of the TV and see how she does. In all honesty she is a real TV junkie, she likes to sit in Scott's lap and root for the Astros and she watches GMA and drinks coffee with me every morning after her breakfast. She was immediately content and mesmerized watching that show with the 3 toed sloth followed by the one where everything is a word (I have seen the stuff in Target but don't know the name); you must forgive my ignorance as it has been a while since we have done PBS around this house! So in the kids' room she sat contently watching the evil TV, sucking away on her binky, and playing with a sweat towel - it was a clean sweat towel, I may let my kid watch TV but I would never hand her a sweaty towel to play with (what kind of mother do you think I am?)! Never heard a peep out of her and when it was time to go she looked at me like "excuse me lady I'm not done here, this show is not over"! I think the only people who actually buy into that whole don't let you kids watch TV hooey are those who don't have kids! Hunter watched TV and amazingly his head never started to spin around nor did green stuff start spewing all over the place and I feel confident that Maisie will fare just as well! Not that I'm advocating using TV instead of interacting with your child, by no means would I ever use it as babysitter, but a little TV isn't going to kill 'em. Honestly people, it's not like she was watching Lifetime, she was watching PBS!

No comments: