Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Have You Donated Kibble Today?

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom & Dad


Today is my parent's birthday ~ not just one of them, both of them. They were born the same day, one year apart ~ how crazy is that? This has always fascinated me ~ I don't know why, it just has ~ maybe because it makes it virtually impossible to forget one or the others birthday ~ if you forget one of them you've just screwed the pooch all together on the subject matter! They are also from the same town in East Texas and both went to UT where they met ~ although they are only a year apart in age my dad is some kind of boy genius and graduated a couple of years before he should have, so while my mom knew who he was, he was way too cool for her in high school! Given all of the health issues my dad has had, I never thought I would see the day I got to wish him a happy 67th birthday ~ thank god for advanced medical technology ~ without it, this day certainly wouldn't be possible! It's hard thinking about my parent's growing another year older (who am I kidding it's hard to think about me growing another year older!) ~ although I guess this is just how the circle of life plays out ~ it's still hard. A friend of mine commented about her mother getting older and said "it just really pisses me off" ~ I must agree with that commentary ~ she was referring to the fact that her mom can't do all of the things that she used to ~ I see that as my parent's get older ~ it's not like they sit in their lazy boys knitting all day or anything like that, but I can definitely see the slow down happening. My mom tells me "it's hell getting old!" ~ I'm just thankful that they are both still young enough to enjoy doing things with my kids and certainly still young enough to make lots of memories that they will never forget. My mom's parent's were the greatest grandparent's in the whole world! I used to go to their house and spend the entire summer with them ~ we lived far away from them so we didn't get to see much of them throughout the year ~ those summer memories are still with me even though they have been gone for 15 years now.


Happy Birthday mom and dad ~ I look forward to wishing you many more! I'll call you later to sing Happy Birthday to you in a terribly off pitch, screeching tone ~ since you're a year older I won't wake you ~ you need your rest!

1 comment:

Amanda Herrold said...

cute blog! Thanks so much for putting our widget up. Come back often!!